Notes about the Melville surname
My Melville ancestors came from the Doll in the Scottish Highlands. William Melville came to Canada in 1868 and established a grocery store in Toronto, Ontario.
Melville is a Scottish surname with Norman roots. The name is derived from place names in Normandy like Malleville which meant ‘bad settlement’. The Scottish bearers of this name adapted it from Ó Maoilmhichíl ‘descendant of Maoilmhichil’ which meant followers of St. Michael.
Important branches on my tree
- William Melville. William came to Canada in 1868.
Melville on Twigged
- List of individuals with surname Melville
- Melville photo album on Twigged
- Blog posts on the Melville family
Melville family on the Internet
- Melville family of Doll, Sutherland, Scotland. Detailed history of the Melville family.